Tuesday, May 5, 2009

One Week Old

Bella is one week old today, and this week has gone surprisingly well. So far, Bella is a much better sleeper and much less high-maintenance than Taylor was. Of course, that could change at any moment so I hope I'm not jinxing myself ;-)





She's going about 3-4 hours in between feedings at night, so I've actually been able to get decent sleep. We had a couple of nights where I would feed her around 8:00, then we would put her to bed, then she'd wake up around 10:30- right when we're getting ready to go to bed-, I'd feed her, and then she'd decide that she's wide awake, and it would take her until 12:30 or 1:00 before she finally fell asleep. Once she was asleep, she would sleep great the rest of the night.



Yesterday she had a doctor's appointment to check her weight. She was 6 lbs 10 oz at birth, and by the time we left the hospital, she was 6 lbs 3 oz. At the doctor's office, they said she was up to 7 lbs 8 oz. I am sure that she has gained weight because it took less time for my milk to come in this time, and she has been eating really well, but I find it really hard to believe that she has gained almost a pound and a half in just a few days. Of course, this was using two different scales, so that may have something to do with it.



Taylor is starting to warm up to Bella. She will smile and laugh more when she sees her and will even ask "Where's baby?" if she doesn't see her. I tried taking pictures of one of the rare moments when Taylor was looking at Bella and talking to her. Of course, she didn't really like the fact that I was taking a picture of that.





She still has her moments of jealousy though and will tell us to put the baby down if she doesn't want us holding her and wants us to do something with her instead. We got out the baby swing which Taylor has claimed ownership of. We tried telling her that she was too big for it for the first couple of hours, but she insisted that she get to "wee" so we let her swing in it now as long as she doesn't turn it on. It's quite cute actually because she'll grab onto the front bars and pull herself forward to make herself swing.




We haven't really left the house since we've been home from the hospital except to go to Bella's doctor's appointment yesterday, so my biggest concern right now is figuring out how I will get a shower on days that we have to go somewhere when Jared is at work. I suppose I can bring Bella in the bathroom with me and lock Taylor out, or I'll have to start showering at night or something. Of course, there's the stress of having to work around Bella's feeding schedule and then packing a diaper bag for two kids now, so I guess I've had it pretty easy so far by just sticking around the house.
I am so in love with both of my girls. I keep looking at Bella and just can't believe that she's mine. I know I felt the same way with Taylor, too. I wonder if I will always have that feeling every time no matter how many kids I have. I know it's only been a week, but so far, things are going so much more smoothly this time around than they did with Taylor. I don't know if it's because Bella is a much easier baby or because I'm just getting more sleep or because I have a better idea of what I'm doing this time-- or maybe a combination of all of them-- but my mood is so much better, and I am so happy right now. I remember feeling a lot more stressed- and depressed even- after Taylor was born. I don't know if it was just exhaustion or postpartum stuff that I mistook for exhaustion. Heavenly Father knew I needed a break after Taylor. I hope things continue to go this way. If so, it probably won't be long before Bella is sleeping through the night, and THAT makes me very, very happy :-)

2 comments:

Cari said...

I am SO glad (and jealous! ;) ) that Bella has been so easy, breezy. It looks like this is something else we did in reverse. I had the easy baby 1st and the hard on second and you are the opposite. I can't wait to see you all tomorrow!!

Beth said...

She's so darn cute (both girls actually!)