I can't believe Bella is one month already! This month has really flown by! It's been quite a crazy month with all the hospital visits and all. Bella had her appointment with the pediatric urologist yesterday. He said that it's not too common for really young babies to get UTI's, so they do want to do the other test (VCUG) to test for urine reflux. He said it's possible that she did just get the UTI from having a dirty diaper, but they need to do the test because it could affect her kidneys in the long term.
So, the first available time at the hospital was on June 24th- my birthday. Happy Birthday to me!! We have to be there at 8:00am, and then afterwards, we will go directly over to the doctor's office and go over the results. In the meantime, he gave us another antibiotic prescription to keep her on until after she has the test. Once again, we've had troubles getting the prescription because no one seems to carry it. Publix said they would call the physician to verify the dosage, and if they have to order it, hopefully they'll have it by tomorrow.
The doctor said if Bella has the urinary reflux then I believe he said Taylor would have a 30% chance of having it, too. If she does have it, I don't know if he'll want to go ahead and test Taylor for it or not since she's never had any problems before.
Bella has been doing really well since being in the hospital. No fevers or any other problems. She sleeps a lot better than Taylor so far. Last night was a great night. I put her to bed at 10:00pm, and then she didn't wake up until 3:00am and then went back to sleep until 7:00am. That's not an every night thing though. Right now, for instance, it's 10:30pm, and we're still having trouble getting her to go to sleep. She keeps dozing off and then waking up after a few minutes. She's still pretty much just eating and sleeping. When we hold her over our shoulder, she does really well at trying to hold up her head. At the doctor's office yesterday, she was up to 9.5lbs, and she's starting to get little rolls on her arms and puffy cheeks.
Taylor is doing a lot better with Bella. She wants to give her kisses and hugs, and she helps throw away dirty diapers. She even hands me wipes while I'm changing Bella's "shoo shoo." Sometimes first thing in the morning, Bella will still be sleeping, but Taylor is already up, so I will go lay on the couch with Taylor and doze off, and she will wake me up whenever Bella wakes up and starts crying. Overall, she's a good big sister, but she does do some things that make me nervous. When I have Bella in the baby swing, sometimes she will give her an extra push that's just a little too hard, or like this morning, Taylor was eating a biscuit, and I found a little tiny piece of it on Bella's lip. Apparently, Taylor felt she needed some, too. Then, this afternoon, Taylor was eating pretzels and started holding one up to Bella. I told her that she didn't eat them, but the next thing I know, she has shoved the whole pretzel into Bella's mouth. Bella started crying (a painful cry), so I ran over to her, and I could just barely see the pretzel sticking out of her mouth. I pulled some out, but it had broken in half, and the other part was in the bottom of her mouth up under her tongue. I was afraid she'd end up choking.
The hard part is not getting really mad at Taylor when she does stuff that hurts Bella because she doesn't understand. I've got to learn to teach her why she shouldn't do those things because she's not purposely trying to hurt her. It's really hard though especially since Taylor's terrible two's are in full force, and we are really clashing right now. She really is very good for everyone else but me. She pretty much doesn't listen to anything I tell her, and it doesn't matter what I do- yell at her, spank her, put her in time out, etc.- she really doesn't care. Today, we had a great day visiting with family over at Alisha's for Garden Club, but as soon as we got home and I tried to put her down for a nap, she had a meltdown. That's the stem of most of our battles. I really, really cherish naptime, and it about makes me go insane when she fights taking a nap. She was screaming and crying and pitching a fit, and then Bella started crying. It was just too much. I ended up taking Bella in her room and sitting in the rocking chair until Taylor cried herself to sleep. Then, she started crying as soon as she woke up which was around 5:00pm or so and did not stop crying and whining until after Jared got home which was around 6:15pm. Yeah, I had definitely had enough. Of course she calmed down after Jared got home. It's just so not fair.
It's times like these that make you wish that you could rationalize with little kids. I mean, I know you would like to stay up and play, but if you just take a little nap without a fight every day, then mommy would be a whole lot happier, and then you would be a whole lot happier. It's funny because just a couple of months ago I was posting about how much I LOVE Taylor- and I do but there are times these days when I really wish that I could just get away!!!!! It's a good thing Jared bought me those Keith Urban concert tickets for Saturday night! :-) It'll be the first time that I've been away from Bella though so I hope I'm not stressed the whole time. I remember the first time I was away from Taylor when she was little I was really stressed and anxious the whole time.
So... we're all doing well physically right now. I'm just not so sure about my mental state... haha
Life as a "Mormon"
12 years ago

5 comments:
Yeah, my sister in law had a scary experience with the toddler feeding the baby thing that maybe I won't tell you so I don't freak you out!
So you're on full time homicide watch, huh? I'm not looking forward to that. I hope that things get better with Taylor. The nap part sounds really really rough.
I CAN SOOOO RELATE!! Noah used to be really easy to put to bed but that is not the case any more. I can feel the stress start to creep in when I know that nap/bedtime is approaching. But, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Even if the tunnel is MILES long!
Those first few months are so hard, even if the baby is fantastic I think. Sleep deprivation, all the body changes, and hormones make it terrible!!! With Addie my hormones were nuts for a few months and I would get stressed so easily. I really hope its better when we have a 2nd kid, I am going to have to wait until Addie is past her terrible twos. (she hit them early!)
Just hang in there - we all go through those times that although we absolutely adore our kids, we have moments when we can't stand to be around them! Both of mine went through those times when they absolutely wouldn't listen to a word I said, but were absolute angels for everyone else. Just take lots of deep breaths and say even more prayers - you'll make it!
All us Mayfield were gals were just commenting that you are handling TWO babes really well!!! Seriously!!! You understand that Bella must cry sometimes, won't hurt her a bit, and Taylor is able to be a kid and you reign her in only when necessary!!! You truly are doing great with the juggling but I know sometimes when juggling all the balls fall at the same time.
As far as 'feeding' Bella, I had a friend that really played up the BIG GIRL scenario with her older child that was always trying to feed their newborn. Make Taylor fill big and tell her that her food is for BIG GIRLS like her, and Bella is just a little girl. And when you start feeding Bella with a bottle, I'm sure Taylor would enjoy 'helping', constantly telling her that Bella is drinking her little girl food. It seemed to work and make her older daughter feel all big and helpful.
Taylor is a dynamo, I just love spirited gals, but I know they are exhausting to 'mother'!! Enjoy your girls night with Alisha, I hope you can relish every second away, and then feel refreshed to return, grin!
Post a Comment