So, I remember when I was younger I LOVED to read. In middle school, my favorite books were the Fear Street books by R.L. Stine and Sweet Valley High books. Once I got into high school, everything changed. Between cheerleading, other extracurricular activities, and the reading that I HAD to do for school, I just never had much time to read for fun, and I got out of the habit of doing it. That continued through college... once again, I usually had so much required reading to do that reading for fun was just not an option for me. Pretty much the only time that I have read for fun over the last 5+ years is during the summer, and that was probably just when I went on a week long vacation to the beach or something. I started a book last summer (that was actually really good) that I still have not finished if that tells you anything.
Well, this past Tuesday, I went with some women from church to see the movie Becoming Jane about Jane Austen, and although I can't say that I'm a huge Jane Austen fan, simply because I haven't taken the time to read her books, I was motivated to start reading more. Jared got me a couple of books for Christmas last year that I just started reading this week. I read a book and a half in three days. I know it is unreasonable for me to keep up that pace between taking care of Taylor, doing medical transcription work, doing housework, and spending time with Jared, but I hope that I can continue to take more time to read. I admit that I do love to watch TV, but even if I do nothing but read all day, I still feel more productive than if I do nothing but watch TV all day. Just reading a couple of books over the last few days has helped me to remember how much I do enjoy reading.
So, if anyone has a favorite book or a good book that they have read recently that they would recommend, let me know!
Life as a "Mormon"
12 years ago

6 comments:
i LOVE to read. whenever i give chris a hard time about being on the computer to much he gives it right back to me about my reading. i would most definitely recommend The Work and The Glory series. it is a series of 9 large books so it is a pretty big commitment to read them but very much worth it. i have the whole series if you want to borrow. i also loved the harry potter series.
my favorite kind of books are historical fictions and i have several series that i have collected thru the years. you are welcome to come over one day and browse my "library" and borrow anything that strikes your fancy.
Some of my favorite books I have read as part of a reading group... They are the Harry Potter series, The Count of Monte Cristo, and Pride and Prejudice (I tried to read that book before and could never get into it, but my friend lent me the A&E movie that I watched first, and then the book became my favorite!) I have all these books (and the P&P movie)if you want to borrow them. I also loved the Anne of Green Gables series... I read those in the early months of Nathan's life when I spent countless hours nursing and nursing and nursing and nursing...!
Two words...Harry Potter. Jude will attest to my obsession. They really are my favorite books. Also I love almost all of Jane Austen's books. I have them all if you ever get the desire to read them. Then their is The Hiding Place. You MUST read this book. It is so inspiring and will really make you grateful for EVERYTHING in your life. You'll notice on my blog one of the places I want to see someday is Corrie Ten Boom's house...This book explains my reasonings.
I LOVE to read too! I really enojoy Nicholas Sparks and Betsy Brannon Green (she is a mormon author from the Bessemer ward)
Aw. R.L Stine. I think I read ALL of his books in middle school. Funny. Glad to know I'm not alone.
Post a Comment