I have a lot of posting that I need to catch up on, but right now, I just want to do some venting. I HATE potty training!! It's complete torture. We got Taylor to start peeing on the potty occasionally a few months after she turned two. At first, it was exciting for her, and she enjoyed going. We admit that we weren't consistent with it. I just didn't want to rush her into it. My ultimate goal was that she would be potty-trained by the time she turns 3 or at least by the beginning of the year when she transitions from nursery at church to Sunbeams (the 3-4 year old class).
Well, here we are, a little over two weeks away from Taylor's 3rd birthday, and she's still not potty-trained. About a month ago, she finally reached a point where she didn't care if she went to the potty or not. We were using Pull-Ups, and then I heard people say not to use those because they are nothing but a diaper that you can pull up and down, which is true. If Taylor wanted to pee in the potty, she would; if she didn't, she would just pee in her pull-up, and it wasn't a big deal. So, we put her back in regular diapers for a week or two to give her a break, and then we started back the potty-training- trying to be more consistent this time- having her wear panties instead.
As far as peeing in the potty goes, she has done pretty well except for the fact that we pretty much always have to remind her to go pee. She doesn't usually initiate it on her own. Our biggest problem is that she has yet to poop on the potty- not even once. She just refuses to do it. We've tried bribing her. We've tried yelling at her. We've tried telling her that big girls go on the potty. We've tried catching her right before we KNOW that she's going to poop and putting her on the potty. Let me just say that changing a poopy diaper is gross, but having to clean poop out of her panties is absolutely disgusting!
So, I think we're going back to pull-ups... at least when we're out in public in case she has an accident. I wasn't too excited when she pooped in her panties while I was out to eat with a friend at Dreamland last weekend. She crawled under the table-- I thought she was trying to get some french fries that she dropped- but when she wouldn't come back up, I knew what was wrong.
Taylor is just a very independent little girl, and I know that she will get it done when she is ready..... I just wish she would hurry up and decide she's ready! It's so frustrating for me, and I'm tired of being down in the dumps!!
Life as a "Mormon"
12 years ago

5 comments:
Oh girl, poop in the panties are the WORST!!! We had a serious talk with Addie back in July about pooping in the potty (she'd hide to poop, but peed in the potty) and told her we'd take her to the giant toy store (toys r us) and let her pick out ANY toy she wanted if she got her poops in the potty. The next morning she ran in to her potty and pooped then begged for the toy so we took her and got her the toy. If she ever has a poop accident, the toy goes on the counter which is torture for her until she gets the next poop in the potty. This has worked great for us. Maybe even try taking her to the toy store first, then putting it on the counter for when she does poop in the potty.
The issue we are having is using public potties... Addie is scared to death of potties that have the cut out on the seat instead of a home potty that doesn't have it. :(
Good luck!
Can I just say I feel your pain... Emerson seriously wasn't completely potty-trained until going to Kindergarten in my opinion. It was a NIGHTMARE! And we tried everything - even going to the dr. to get her tested, etc. So, really, I have no good answers for you, just sympathy! :)
Its a dirty deed! And 2 out my 3 where super easy to potty train, but the 1 tough kiddo was enough to drive me to tears.
The only thing that finally worked was for me to stay home for several days with him. He ran around bum naked those days... which of course meant I was cleaning up some messes but it sure caught his attention when there was absolutely nothing to 'catch' his accident (and I would think for a girl it would be extra gross feeling to have it tinkle down). As far as the poo... you HAVE to make it miserable for them when they poo in there pants. NO convenient wet wipes... NOPE... I stuck his tiny poopy hiney under the freezing cold bath faucet to clean him and it took only ONCE and he never pooped in his britches again. My mother-in-law originally suggested that to me and thought I couldn't do it, so mean, eeeek, but after it worked the FIRST time... I pinched myself that I didn't just do it the first time after she offered the advise. Good Luck!!
I am with Dawn on this one. We just successfully potty trained Lisi after months of her using the potty inconsistently. I stopped using pull-ups on her and just let her wear panties. Well, she decided she was fine pooping and peeing on herself. We finally decided that every time she had an accident we would stick her hiney under the cold running water. She did NOT like that at all. We did that 4 or 5 times and she hasn't had an accident since. Good luck!
You can to it! You have to be willing to stick with it and take a couple of days out of your schedule and just take her like ever 30 min or so... Just remind her to pee kids get sidetracked and forget or are busy playing and don't want to stop. Isabel didn't want to poop in the toilet either so we just thew a party (I made her her own cupcake, not a real party) or even a batch of brownies and it worked 90%. She's been almost perfect since. My advise stay away from pull-ups. They are just expensive diapers and confuse kids, they are too much like a panty. Just buy like 10 pairs of panties and tough it out, and I like the cold water idea. I also just made izzy stay in her poopy mess for a bit and she hated it.
Post a Comment