Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sew Fun

For a long time, I've been wanting to learn how to sew. I haven't had any grand projects in mind. I've just always wanted to know how in case I really need to make something--- you know when there is something specific that you need, but you can't find it in stores anywhere or if you need some modest clothing which is so hard to find these days--- especially if I need to make something for the girls as they are growing up.
Well, my wonderful mother bought me a sewing machine for Christmas, and it's taken me over 6 months to actually start putting it to use, but I'm really enjoying it. I've sewn a few pillowcases for the girls that I work with in Activity Days at church, and the last time my sil's and I took a trip to Sir's Fabric store, I bought some fabric to start working on some dresses for the girls. My sil, Cari, has sewn a few pillowcases dresses and said they were really easy, so I decided that would be a good place to start. She and my mother-in-law helped me figure out the measurements for the girls and trace out a pattern, and then I cut the fabric and sewed the dresses all by myself! I actually made Bella's dress a few weeks ago, but I wanted to make a coordinating dress for Taylor and hadn't had time time to do it until last weekend, so this past Sunday was the first time they wore the dresses.
The sewing of the dresses definitely wasn't without mistakes. My biggest problem came from doing the trim. On Bella's dress, I pinned the trim on the dress and realized it wasn't right. Then, I re-pinned it and sewed it only to realize that it still wasn't right- the thread showed on the outside of the dress... which actually wouldn't have looked to horrible if my lines were a little straighter. I debated whether or not I wanted to leave it that way but decided to take out all of the stitching and redo it. Then, on Taylor's dress, I learned from that mistake, but when I turned the dress right side out, the trim was inside out- dang it!! Luckily, Jared gave me the idea of just taking out the stitches on the sides of the trim and resewing it instead of taking out the stitches all the way around the dress. Needless to say, it didn't come without frustration, but I was pleased with the outcome!
I'd like to make some little bloomers to go along with the dresses as well. Now, I need some more projects to work on so I can get more practice and hopefully get better!!!

13 comments:

mom2eight said...

The longest journey starts with the first step. Sewing is like that. Just start and you will learn as you go and have successes and mistakes but keep going and you will gain confidence and get better and better and have so much fun along the way. I think sewing can be one of the most creative hobbies, there are infinite possibilities for fun and cool things to make. It doesn't hurt that you have such cute girls to make things for.

Lisha said...

Great job, I love how they are opposite! Taylor's second picture cracks me up.

Cari said...

THEY TURNED OUT SOOOO GREAT!! I so love the idea you had of making them opposite. I too had the most problem with the trim. It seems like that part would be easiest but no. Any time you want to get together and just let Bella and Eden chill, Taylor and Noah run crazy, and us sew our little hearts out, you just let me know.

Ashley said...

So cute, seriously way to go! I love those little dresses, and you have good taste in material, that is alway smy biggest problem, picking it out! Way to brave the sewing world!

Lee Family said...

Adorable dresses and girls!!!

Kim Mayfield said...

So cute... the dresses and the girls!! :)

Kim Mayfield said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jude and Ashley said...

Those are so cute debbie! You'll have to show me how to do that.

Dawn, said...

Yay! Wonderful job. And your models are gorgeous too!

Rachel @ The Little Blue Room said...

Your girls were so cute wearing these Sunday. I have lots of cute sewing ideas I want to try out. We should get together for a sewing day so I get a push to get things done!

The Happy Haynie Family said...

These are so adorable. I have sewn most of my life. I started sewing Barbie clothes when I was 10 years old. It is something that I have always been thankful that I knew how to do. Good luck...and if you need help with anything let me know.

Rochelle said...

Congrats Debbie, these are so cute!! I'm very impressed. I have yet to drag out my mom's old sewing machine here in NC...but I do have some tailoring projects I want to do. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Candace said...

Too cute! I want to learn to sew!