This morning, when Taylor and I woke up, we sat down and started watching TV, and I heard a loud buzzing noise in the kitchen. It surprised me how loud it was, but I assumed it was just a housefly. Well, I walked into the kitchen a little bit later and saw a yellow jacket flying around our back door. I grabbed our fly swatter and killed it, and then I looked over and saw two more yellow jackets. Taylor was playing in the floor, and I was scared because I was thinking, "If I swat at these things and MISS, then they are going to come flying right at me... or Taylor." Lucky for me (or maybe the Lord was on my side!), I was having good aim and killed them with the first swat. After killing the first three (or maybe four), I looked at the back door and noticed that there were MORE, and they were coming in through a crack at the side of the door. At this point, I grabbed Taylor, put her in her room, and shut the door. I knew she would be so mad at me, but I wanted to get her out of harm's way while I tried to figure out how to get rid of these yellow jackets and keep them from coming in.
By this point, there were about three more already in the house, so I killed them, and then walked out the front door and went around back. I couldn't see a nest anywhere, but there were several buzzing around the door. I went back inside, and then I noticed that the door wasn't shut all the way. It looked like the dead bolt was locked, but actually, the door wasn't shut all the way, so it wasn't locked. So, I shut the door all the way, locked it, and was just praying that there wouldn't be enough room for them to squeeze through the crack now that the door was shut all the way. So far, so good.
At first, Taylor just banged on her door a little bit, but by the time I was through, she was crying and screaming her head off. While I was trying to get rid of the yellow jackets, I just kept thinking, "I'm sorry, baby, but I'm just trying to protect you." That's when it hit me that there will probably be many times in her life that I have to tell her no or not let her do something, and she may get mad at me and not like me very much, but it will only be because I am trying to protect her. I know there were many times while I was growing up that my mom wouldn't let me do something, and I thought it was so unfair and that she was way too overprotective. I have definitely come to appreciate her now and all she did for me, and I can only imagine that I will be even more overprotective of my kids, but I know that it will be because I love them and want what's best for them!
Life as a "Mormon"
12 years ago

5 comments:
You are such a good mom. Taylor just lights up when she is with you. There will be those moments when she may not like you but she is always going to love you because, lets face it, who couldn't?
Keep this story handy when those moments come, I'm sure it will help bring home the message sometime. And, it will come a lot sooner than you anticipate... I have to tell the girls lots of times AFTER they've done something that I've told them not to, and then they are coming to my crying because they are hurt or something is broken, etc., that rules are in place because I want to protect them and keep them happy. Then, I always have a pang of guilt remembering the commandments and all that I'm not following, and that Heavenly Father just wants to keep ME happy, yet what a stubborn child I am. Anyways, I agree with Cari, she will for sure come to love and appreciate all you do for her someday.
You're so brave! I wouldn't have been able to combat those yellow jackets. Lucky for Taylor her mom is a super hero!
When we first have children, we have the ideal of being this wonderful,fun, all knowing wonderfully cool Mom for our kids. then as they grow, reality sets in and we find that at times we have to be strong, firm and even (according to them) "mean". they don't see the dangers of the world but we do. If we aren't strong for them and aren't there to protect, who will?. One day your children will come to you and thank you for being strong and being there for them and it will all be worth the times they are angry and accuse you of being mean. You are well on the way to being a truly wonderful Mom.
aww, I want a baby! :)
Post a Comment